Have you ever found yourself troubled by the question “What do you want to be when you grow up?” This struggle to find your life purpose is one that is shared by many, especially Empaths!
In a recent TED talk by Emilie Wapnick, she revealed that she found herself jumping from on interest to another in life, leaving each one as she found that she was no longer challenged by the path she was on. At one point she began to question her own behaviour, wondering if there was something wrong with her.
“The notion of the narrowly-focused life is highly romanticized in our culture,” Wapnick explained. She went on to discuss the fact that some people are not wired to make a single life choice in regards to what they want to do She calls these people multipotentialites. Other synonyms include polymath, renaissance person or scanner.
“Multipotentialites have no ‘one true calling’ the way specialists do. Being a multipotentialite is our destiny. We have many paths and we pursue all of them, either sequentially or simultaneously (or both).
Multipotentialites thrive on learning, exploring, and mastering new skills. We are excellent at bringing disparate ideas together in creative ways. This makes us incredible innovators and problem solvers.
When it comes to new interests that emerge, our insatiable curiosity leads us to absorb everything we can get our hands on. As a result, we pick up new skills fast and tend to be a wealth of information.”
Empaths love to learn new skills, and this drives many to think much like a multipotentialite. Unfortunately, this desire to chase, and master, multiple different passions is often squashed by a society that pushes us to choose a single vocational path.
While sticking with a single calling works for some people, others embrace change and need to continue learning and moving forward.
Empath’s have a strong internal guidance system (IGS) which helps to push them in the right direction in life. When we allow yourselves to listen to what it is telling us, and understand its signals, it can hold a tremendous amount of power in our lives.
These signals are sometimes communicated as desires. For this reason, if you desire to try a new hobby or career path, then follow it! This may include: learning to play golf, qualifying as a computer programmer or yoga teacher, playing a musical instrument, or learning to speak a new language. Embrace these desires, and allow your IGS to lead you along your destined path or paths.
Do you believe that you are a Multipotentialite Empath? Watch for these 9 traits:
- You have a very active imagination.
- You live for adventure! You have a strong need to travel to new places and experience all that life has offer.
- You have talents in many different activities, many of which are not remotely connected.
- Monotone tasks and routines, and closed spaces, leave you feeling trapped.
- You have been hardwired to enjoy the process of gaining knowledge and wisdom. You take pleasure in learning.
- You have an extremely creative and imaginative mind. Always looking for ways to fill this need, you enjoy writing, playing games and painting among other creative activities.
- You feel as though you don’t belong in the world around you as it exists today.
- You feel strongly that you have a purpose, however you are unable to define it.
- You like to try out new jobs in your search to find a career that feels like it is the right fit.